- Urban. After Iron Ptolus and years of playing urban Iron Crown, on the Astral Plane no less, I want to get out of town. I long for elven glades and mountain passes.
- Dungeon Delving. Some underground stuff is fine, but I want most of the interaction to be above ground. What I really want to have are experiences from some of the old-school adventures like Village of Hommlet and Against the Giants. I want primal fear and excitement, something believable and honest.
- Planar Travel. If we do this it will happen much later in level. One of the first stops would likely be the new faerie realm. Reading a lot of Dresden Files has me excited for such an adventure. In general, adventures should be local.
- One Shots (vs. a campaign). I could see having a one-shot or two that tied into a larger campaign. Something to get your feet wet, with a hint of a larger campaign plan. What I don't want to do is a series of tedious one-shot adventures. That's tedious for everyone. I need a campaign.
- Genre Campaigns. I'm not interested in starting a war, fighting off horrors, or similar adventuring genres. I want vanilla, but I want gourmet vanilla with those little bits of vanilla bean embedded into it; the kind of vanilla that makes you wonder why they ever invented chocolate.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Thougths on Adventures
Now that I've got a feeling for the campaign world, I can focus on adventures. Most of what I know now is what I don't want the adventures to be: