Saturday, January 19, 2008

Thougths on Adventures

Now that I've got a feeling for the campaign world, I can focus on adventures. Most of what I know now is what I don't want the adventures to be:

  • Urban. After Iron Ptolus and years of playing urban Iron Crown, on the Astral Plane no less, I want to get out of town. I long for elven glades and mountain passes.
  • Dungeon Delving. Some underground stuff is fine, but I want most of the interaction to be above ground. What I really want to have are experiences from some of the old-school adventures like Village of Hommlet and Against the Giants. I want primal fear and excitement, something believable and honest.
  • Planar Travel. If we do this it will happen much later in level. One of the first stops would likely be the new faerie realm. Reading a lot of Dresden Files has me excited for such an adventure. In general, adventures should be local.
  • One Shots (vs. a campaign). I could see having a one-shot or two that tied into a larger campaign. Something to get your feet wet, with a hint of a larger campaign plan. What I don't want to do is a series of tedious one-shot adventures. That's tedious for everyone. I need a campaign.
  • Genre Campaigns. I'm not interested in starting a war, fighting off horrors, or similar adventuring genres. I want vanilla, but I want gourmet vanilla with those little bits of vanilla bean embedded into it; the kind of vanilla that makes you wonder why they ever invented chocolate.
One advantage of having a home brew campaign world that's fairly normal (unlike Iron Crown) is that I can focus more on an adventure and less on determining how minutiae, like how yeast procreates on a plane of thought and similar distractions. I would like to drop in a pre-made adventure, but at this late stage in 3.5, the only safe thing is to make up something on my own. Then again, it would behoove me to run some of the new 4.0 adventures, which in theory should showcase some of the major differences between the systems. Hmm, more thought required.

No comments: